So, it’s finally here! Marathon week! It’s hard to fathom that I set my sights on qualifying for the NYC Marathon a year and a half ago and now I am a mere six days away from toeing the start line. Before the excitement that comes with race day I have to endure the final dreaded taper week, which I loathe. I don’t understand how others look forward to the taper. Tapering = very little running. My highest week of mileage was 81 miles. Now I’m going to get in 15 miles this week before the marathon. Even then 15+26.2=41.2 miles. Not enough to quench my running thirst. Some people love the taper but I don’t, running is my favorite thing to do in the whole world and the taper forces me to give that up. How does that make any runner happy?
Anyways. Enough belly aching. I have some plans to get me through this less-than ideal week, keeping majorly busy!
1) Plenty of work to be done, I am taking Thursday off of work and heading east so I have plenty to keep me busy to cram 40 hours worth of work into 30. Should be fun.
2) Halloween – tonight I am headed over to my sister and BIL’s to see their kiddos dressed up in their Halloween costumes and may even have a few treats to give to them!
3) Church – Lots going on in the Catholic Church this week, multiple masses are being offered, Tuesday is All Saints Day and Wednesday is All Souls day so I thought with some extra time on my hands I should make a concerted effort to get into a pew.
4) Packing – I need to sit down and make my list of necessities for the trip to the Big Apple
5) Itinerary – I want to sit down and map out our days so that we can fit in all that we want to see/do in the Big Apple while there and make the best use of our time as well as figure out what routes to take on public transit, etc.
6) Grocery list – I am a picky eater, and I don’t really enjoy eating out at restaurants all that much, especially the days leading up to a race I’ve been training months for. The apartment we are staying at has a full kitchen so we hope to make use of that for the meals leading up to race day.
7) Get plenty of sleep! Yesterday I took a three-hour nap, and then was able to get in an additional 8 hours at night. It there is one thing I am good at, it’s sleeping!
8 ) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I am a very good water drinker, but I need to carry my nalgene with me 24/7.
9) Avoid starbucks like the plague. I’m trying not to drink any lattes – for starters, I have gotten into quite the latte habit in the last year and it is just out of control, so I am using this week to wean myself off of their tasty goodness. I want to try to keep myself away from caffeine as much as possible. It will help me drink more water and will not have an effect on my sleep patterns for the week.
10) Watch some movies! I’m not much of a television or movie gal, but each time I’ve headed to the city that never sleeps I’ve watched movies that take place in NYC before departure. Some of my top choices: Breakfast at Tiffany’s, When Harry Met Sally, Sex and the City. Also before marathons I like to watch sports movies that pump me up, my favorites include: Prefontaine and Hoosiers.
11) Last but not least, I’ll have this song on heavy rotation!
6 days until I’m takin’ a bite outta the Big Apple!
How do you survive the taper? Anything I left off the list?