I’ve been meaning to post this lil’ recipe I whipped up awhile back. Since realizing I no longer can consume dairy products, and committing to a vegan lifestyle, I am constantly trying to think up ways to alter recipes that I loved in my previous dairy-consuming days. I decided to try making stuffed shells and thought sweet potatoes would be a nice cheese substitute! This turned out DELICIOUS and was insanely easy to make.
- Pasta shells
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can of whole tomatoes (or diced if you prefer)
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Boil as many pasta shells as you would like in a large pot of water for 15 minutes (or follow instructions on the box of the shells you purchased)
- While shells are boiling, combine pasta sauce, can of tomatoes and spinach into a saucepan and heat over low to medium, stirring occasionally
- Wash and chop sweet potatoes, and place in pot of boiling water for up to 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain potatoes, then put them in a bowl and mash. I sometimes add a pinch of Earth Balance vegan buttery spread to make them a bit creamier. Put aside
- Once noodles are tender, drain and rise with cold water and allow them to dry for a few minutes
- Spread sauce mixture on bottom of glass baking dish
- Fill each shell with a spoonful of sweet potato and arrange in baking dish
- Once all shells are placed in baking dish, pour remaining sauce over shells
- Place baking dish into oven uncovered for 15 minutes
Serve and enjoy!