Today I took a stab at a lil’ recipe I stumbled across from Real Simple and tweaked it a bit to make it my own. I used our crock pot that we received as a Christmas gift from the hubs’ parental units for the very first time. Whoa. Crockpot, where have YOU been all my life?!
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 28-ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen fire roasted corn
- 1/2 cup frozen succotash
- 1/2 cup salsa
- quinoa, avocado and tortilla chips, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Add the tomatoes (and their liquid), beans, sweet potato, corn, succotash, salsa and 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chili has thickened, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Serve the chili over quinoa and top it off with avocado, salsa, and tortilla chips.
This was SOOOO delicious! I mos def recommend! The hubs even loved it. However, the carnivore in him couldn’t comprehend eating this awesomeness sans meat, so he cooked up some ground beef and combined it with his bowl of chili. I guess Paula Abdul was right when she said opposites attract.