One of my favorite recipes created by yours truly. It’s quick, packed full of nutrients, and stores well as a leftover. I usually whip this up on a weekday night when I am strapped for time, and then pack the extra in my lunch the next day (or two, or even three!).
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 bell pepper (orange is my favorite!)
- 1 avocado
- Salsa (as little or as much as you prefer)
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil.
- Add couscous, stir quickly.
- Cover and remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Simultaneously take black beans, drain and rinse thoroughly, then add to a different medium saucepan.
- Add diced tomatoes to black beans and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking. Continue to cook until mixture is as warm as you would like.
- Slice bell pepper and avocado.
- Spoon couscous into a bowl, spoon tomatoes and beans on top of couscous. Top with peppers, avocado and salsa.